In my opinion, there are few things more exciting than exploring a new place. Everything is totally new, from the people you meet and the sights you see to the foods you eat. Of course, not all travel experiences are worth repeating, but hopefully we can learn from any unpleasant situations we may encounter in other countries. Your experiences while travelling are totally your own and you’ll never forget what you saw, heard or did that made a certain place so special. Here’s the bottom line: if you get an opportunity to travel, take it! Thanks to my parents, I’ve been able to travel to 23 countries in my 23 years. Whether it’s a cruise around the Galápagos Islands, a sunrise hike up to Machu Picchu or dinner on a Dhow in Zanzibar, those two are always up for an adventure and I’m so lucky to have accompanied them on some of their jaunts around the world. We’re hoping to visit Dubai and India this summer, which should be a real treat – as you can see below, those are two of the places on my current travel bucket list.
Here are another 23 places I’d absolutely love to visit, in no particular order. Feel free to comment on which ones you’ve been to and which ones you think I should include!
- Thailand – With great food, ancient temples, peaceful Buddhist culture, and stunning beaches, Thailand’s got it all.
- Iceland – I could spend a month in this staggeringly beautiful country and never tire of the glaciers, volcanoes, hot springs, waterfalls, and everything in between!
- Seychelles – Home to some of the most gorgeous beaches in the world. (Seriously, Google it. Your jaw will drop.)
- Japan – Tokyo, Okinawa, Osaka, Yakushima, Atami, Nara, Kyoto, Ishigaki…did I just order lunch in Japanese? (Kidding.) Clearly, I want to go everywhere in Japan!
- Australia – I’d spend most of my trip trying out an Aussie accent and annoying the heck out of the locals. (And keeping an eye out for Great Whites.)
- India – My roots are Indian, so I’ve always wanted to explore the place where my great-grandparents lived.
- New Zealand – There’s no shortage of exciting things to do in this beautiful country!
- Turkey – I’m already in love with Istanbul, although the recent acts of terrorism there and in Ankara have left many of us hesitant to go to either city.
- Portugal – Who wouldn’t enjoy this country’s historic towns and to-die-for cuisine?
- Costa Rica – Its incredible biodiversity, lush rainforests and endless activities could keep me busy for weeks.
- Morocco – I’d love to explore its souks and old mosques, not to mention the Rif Mountains and Sahara Desert.
- Alaska – Each Alaskan park, fjord and city looks worth a visit. It’s apparently the largest yet most sparsely populated U.S. state, which is an interesting contrast.
- Dubai – It’s home to the world’s tallest building and the Middle East’s first indoor ski resort, but I think this country has more tradition and culture than meets the eye.
- Indonesia – This unique country is often forgotten, which is surprising given its ancient temples, magnificent volcanoes and beautiful beaches.
- Switzerland – In case the Swiss Alps and majestic lakes aren’t enough of a draw for you, Switzerland is often said to be the happiest country in the world. 🙂
- Norway – I would love to take a ferry or train from Iceland to Norway – imagine the views along the way! Also, Oslo looks like a fantastic city to explore.
- Brazil – You can dance the samba in Rio de Janeiro, get lost in the Amazon rainforest or relax on Copacabana Beach. Personally, I’d do all three!
- California – Not exactly exotic, but it’s always been on my list.
- Dominican Republic – The perfect place for a beach getaway.
- Greece – Santorini, Mykonos, Oia, Athens and Olympia are on my list.
- Hawaii – Self-explanatory!
- Egypt – I’d go strictly for the pyramids.
- Argentina – Attractions include taking tango classes, visiting outdoor mercados (markets) and taking a million pictures at the breathtaking Iguazú Falls!
I’d love to hear from you, readers! Where do you want to go next?