I often come up with new segments for my blog. Sunday Movie Review, for example, was a good idea that I promptly forgot about after the first post. Whoops! My record for keeping up with a weekly segment is probably two weeks, but this time I plan to stick with Friday Favourites. And don’t worry – rather than focusing on a topic like beauty products that only appeals to some of you, the topic will differ each week. Restaurants, music, awesome websites, travel, organizations I support…you name it!
Let’s kick off this inaugural post with some info about today’s topic: coconut oil. I’m sure you’ve heard about it, tasted it, maybe even tried it on your skin or hair – but did you know that there are over 30 surprising uses for it? Natural face mask, body moisturizer, under-eye cream and smoothie-thickener are just a few of them, with face mask being my personal fave. I’m sitting in my living room, having just slathered a 1/2 teaspoon’s worth of it on my face, and you wouldn’t believe how relaxed and pampered I’m feeling right now. If you have a jar of coconut oil at home, go do it. Seriously! This stuff seeps deep into the skin and pulls out all the gunk that clogs our pores, leaving our faces softer, cleaner, more radiant, and smelling like a tropical paradise.
If you’re not sure how to get started or have reservations about applying oil to already oily skin, follow along with my step-by-step guide below. (Sounds like I’ve put a lot of effort into it, but I’ll be honest: Google did most of the work for me.) Also, the whole process may seem time-consuming, but I promise each step makes your face feel more luxurious than the last:
1. Rub a half-teaspoon of solid coconut oil between your fingers. Apply to clean, dry skin in gentle circular motions for about 15 seconds.
2. Leave on for 5-15 minutes, depending on how deep a clean you want.
3. Run a washcloth under warm water. Wring the water out before pressing the cloth against your face for 30 seconds, letting the steam open your clogged pores. (This is an especially great step if you have stubborn blackheads.)
4. Gently wipe off the remaining oil with the damp washcloth and pat dry with a clean towel.
5. Voilà! You’re finished. Now bask in the envy of people around you who stare jealously at your suddenly glowing, younger-looking skin. 😉
As I mentioned earlier, coconut oil has multiple amazing uses. Here are some you may not know about: body scrub (try mixing with sugar and olive oil), lip balm, face cleanser, frizz-fighter, split-end repair cream, body/foot lotion, cuticle oil, tooth whitener, shaving cream, makeup remover…the list goes on! It can also be used as a stimulating scalp massage oil to improve circulation and promote hair growth. It’s also great in curries or stir-fry!
The Nutiva brand (above) that I bought was about $12 from Amazon.com, but it doesn’t really matter where you buy it from as long as it’s organic, virgin, cold-pressed oil. Give it a try and see what you think! Let me know in the comments if you love it as much as I do.
Until next time! 💋