Ladies: it’s International Women’s Day! That means you can do one of two things today: put your feet up and enjoy being appreciated or work your butt off at work to further enforce the fact that women have become unstoppable powerhouses in the workplace. Either way, it’s YOUR day, so make it a great one!
Gentlemen: it’s International Women’s Day! That means you can do one thing today: call, text, tweet, or email every woman in your life who is important to you. Whether it’s your daughter, your mother, your grandmother, your significant other, or your best (female) friend, she will appreciate you even more if you take time out of your day to appreciate her. Go ahead and take 30 minutes to make those calls and write those emails; you’ll thank me later.
In honour of International Women’s Day, I’d like to list 5 of my female idols (I should note that these women do not include my mother, grandmother, aunts, cousins, and friends who I also look up to). These 5 women are international successes and have worked incredibly hard for everything they’ve accomplished and everything they’ve earned.
1. Stephanie Nolen, The Globe and Mail‘s South Asia correspondent, three-time recipient of the Amnesty International Award for Human Rights Reporting and journalism graduate from the University of King’s College
2. Dilma Rousseff, President of Brazil
3. Ellen DeGeneres, talk-show host and comedian
4. The late Miriam Makeba, Grammy Award-winning South African singer and civil rights activist
5. Arianna Huffington, co-founder of The Huffington Post.
I would love to hear feedback from all of you – who are your female idols and why? Feel free to drop me an email or leave me a comment. Have a wonderful International Women’s Day!